Back to Article
Back to Article

Cheer Places High At National And World Championships

February 27, 2019

From the football field outside to the blue mat in Orlando, the varsity cheer team has yelled and competed year-round. The squad placed sixth at Nationals this year and brought home first in the World competition.

Senior Abbi Johnson has been on the Varsity cheer squad since freshman year and has competed in Orlando multiple times. Knowing that this was her last time cheering for the school, Johnson will miss her team and the relationships she built over recent years.

“I will definitely miss the family aspect of Sparkman cheer,” Johnson said. “We were all so close and no matter what program you go to in the future, you won’t find another like this.”

Despite not receiving the results they wanted at Nationals, the team is still proud of their efforts and is relishing in their first place win. Facing many obstacles, a win at Nationals was just not in the cards for the squad.

“We had lots of injuries and illnesses to push through and we did stunts that have never been competed with before,” Johnson said. “I’m super proud of the boys and team as a whole. We had more new people than we did returners so they did what they needed to do. Sometimes things just happen.”

Having won 12 white jackets while coaching, Lisa Aderholt was more than excited to claim number 13 after the win at Worlds. Working with her squad 11 months out of the year, Aderholt was proud to see their hard work pay off.

“The jacket is icing on the cake. It’s really exciting to see the kids put them on and being so excited to have that jacket. When it’s all said and done, it’s the memory of the year that make that jacket so much sweet ,” Aderholt said. “It’s the commodity of the kids, it’s the hard work and the love they all put in to make that final project come together. The jacket is wonderful and the pictures are magnificent but the thing that makes it even more special is seeing that all their hard work and all their talent that they’ve put forth have paid off.