The+golf+team+practices+for+the+upcoming+season.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Golf Season Will Go On Despite Rule Change

The golf team practices for the upcoming season.

Melissa Byrd

Melissa Byrd

Melissa Byrd

February 22, 2019

As a new season of golf is right around the corner, players are starting to get ready for their season tournaments, however this season as players look at their tournament schedules something different caught their attention.

Five scheduled tournaments have been cancelled. Even more disappointing than, the team had already paid for these tournaments and cannot get a refund.

“It is really disappointing that these tournaments got cancelled because that means that we have fewer opportunities to play and compete in tournaments,” junior Dalton Williams said.

Normally when an athletic event is canceled it is because of things like weather or a team not able to show. This time it is different. Supt. Matt Massey and the new county athletic director came to the decision of canceling these tournaments after they found a rule in the handbook stating that school sporting events should not affect attendance at school.

“The athlete director found this rule in the handbook and he decided that too many days of school would be missed if the tournaments went on, so he canceled them,” senior Jordan Waldrop said.

Having these tournaments canceled has it effects on the team. Missing these tournaments lessen the time the team has on the links and may even affect a state appearance.

“It definitely is disappointing to know that I will not be able to play in as many tournaments that I had hoped to play in and I wish this rule was overturned,”  freshman Drew Williams said.