Senior+Deyanna+Dodd+looks+for+the+opportunity+to+shoot+a+three.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Basketball Teams Shooting for Cancer Research

Senior Deyanna Dodd looks for the opportunity to shoot a three.

Emerald Everheart

Emerald Everheart

Emerald Everheart

January 15, 2019

Both boys and girls varsity basketball teams have joined together to defeat something opponents from across the country all hope to conquer- cancer.

Jan. 1, 2019 marked the start of the Coaches vs. Cancer campaign where both teams will be raising money through every 3-Pointer scored.

“When we learned of the program we knew it was something we wanted to do,” boys head coach, Jamie Coggins said. “I think every family has been affected by cancer in some way and it is important to raise awareness and support for the incurable disease.”

Donors can pledge for every 3-Pointer made during The Coaches vs. Cancer campaign, or make a one-time flat donation to help the American Cancer Society create a world without cancer.

“Knowing what we are playing for sets a high tone for the game,” senior player Kendall Wright said.

For Wright, fighting cancer was something he had first seen at age 13. Watching his mother beat breast cancer taught him the struggles cancer patients go through, now pushing him to give it his all on the court.

“It not only makes me strive for three’s but to play harder on both ends of the court,” Wright said. “Fighting for loose balls and going for every rebound.”

From the beginning of their seasons, the teams have scored over 175 three-pointers combined. In only 14 days, three games into the three-point challenge the teams have raised $190 of their $1,500 goal.

“We have to remember that all these games we play are just games,” Coggins said. “We try to teach our boys that at the end of the day there are more important things in life and cancer is one of those things.”

If you would like to join the Coaches vs. Cancer campaign, visit  campaign, visit  https://pledgeit.org/cvc19-sparkman-high-school–al