Senior Leaves Lasting Impression on Golf Team

May 25, 2017

With football, baseball and cheerleading student athletes signing all over the southeast and now the very first female golf scholar graduating with the class of 2017, the future of Senator athletics is bright.

Senior Brittni Simms signed a full ride athletic scholarship with Calhoun Community College last week and is scheduled to begin this fall.

“I started playing golf in sixth grade and have loved it ever since. I had many people help and encourage me along the way,” Simms said. “I think it is pretty great being the first female golf scholarship and I hope I have left a legacy on the team.”

Simms has participated on the varsity team throughout her entire high school career. When scouted for Calhoun, she practiced every day sometimes for four to eight hours a day leading up to her two-day tryout in which they accepted Simms as one of two out of 103 total participants.

“She is something special. She did great things this year for the golf team and deserved that scholarship,” junior Mara Pastores said.

Simms emerged as one of the leaders on the team in this, her last year at Sparkman. She encouraged everyone to always do their best.

“It is part of my life,” Simms said. “If golf was not part of my life then I would not be who I am today.”