Photo Credit: Jasmine Bezotte

Black History Month: Junior Writes a Letter to Activists

Dear Activists,

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress.”- Frederick  Douglass

Thank you to everyone who worked behind the scenes to fight for the basic rights of individuals of color, not just one of you or the well-known activists. Not only from then but also now, thank you to those who are still fighting and making a difference for the better.

There have been struggles and setbacks, but no one, not Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Rosa Parks, Malcolm X, or Henry “Box” Brown, has let their dream of being free or equal keep them from crossing the finish line. Thank you, Dr. King, for paving the way for a civil and peaceful protest to achieve results; you demonstrated that peace can be an answer to serious issues.

Thank you, Malcolm X, for demonstrating that sometimes it takes a push, a little violence, to get things right. And to Rosa Parks, for not giving up simply because you were told to. Some may dismiss that as “she’s just sitting there,” but it meant a lot back then, and it still means a lot now. 

The activists who fought for their lives as well as the future generation paved the way for us to live equally. They had a fighting spirit, and it took not one but all of them to come together and fight for what they believed in and what they believed could and would have a large and positive impact on the world.

Even though the memories of all those who paved the way are still celebrated today, there are young children in the making who are pushing for more justice and making sure that everything is as equal as it can be.

Thank you for your bravery, and thank you to those who contribute to their points of view, as well as those who continue to fight for what is right now.

We hear you.

We see you.

We thank you.