Students+are+gearing+up+for+Valentine%27s+Day.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Students Tell Their Differing Opinions on Valentine’s Day

Students are gearing up for Valentine's Day.

Atty Costanza

Atty Costanza

Atty Costanza

February 7, 2019

Pro 

As Valentine’s Day approaches, love is in the air. The Roman god, Cupid brings people together to celebrate their everlasting affection for one another. Often times people are opposed to this celebration with no good reason.

To simply say that Valentine’s Day is a ridiculous holiday just because an individual has no significant other to share it with, is ludacris. It is easy for one to call it absurd when they are single and bitter about the reality of their love life. When push comes to shove, ruining everyone’s fun by complaining about a day-long holiday is unnecessary. If anything, people who claim Valentine’s Day is stupid are just looking for pity and sympathy. The holiday is quickly over within 24 hours and one can simply just ignore it if they are opposed to it.

Avoiding the celebration of Valentine’s Day would be foolish. Valentine’s Day does not have to be limited to just couples. Individuals can express their love and infatuation for family members as well as their closest friends. Holidays do not have rules and 42 percent of adults in America do not even have a partner to share Valentine’s Day with. People can give chocolates to their best friend or pick out roses for their mother. It will not be the end of the world if someone has no companion on Valentine’s Day.

Without a partner, it can be disheartening to see everyone giving each other gifts. However, Valentine’s Day can be about more than just radiating positivity to loved ones. The holiday can cause some to feel depressed and lonesome, so the best course of action to take at that point is to treat oneself to a day of self-love. The key point of this holiday is to spread love, so why not treat yourself?

Everyone deserves to be loved and Valentine’s day highlights that basic need of love and affection. There’s no need to be resentful and rain on everyone’s parade. Love is love and there are many different types of it. If anything, Valentine’s Day is a chance for us to show everyone, including our significant others, how much we cherish and appreciate them.

CON

Valentine’s Day, the day people blow their paychecks on their significant other. The day of showering their loved one with gifts. A day to make someone feel special. But, is it truly special?

What about the people who have nobody to share this day with? On Valentine’s Day, nobody really wants to be alone, but they also don’t want to see people being all lovey-dovey with one another. Personally, I wouldn’t want the first thing I see when I walk out of the door to be two people giving each other googly eyes just because it is the day of “love”. Being single on Valentine’s Day isn’t fun. People give you pity looks when you aren’t joined at the hip with someone. The question is though, why do you have to be joined at the hip for people to not look at you funny? There are plenty of people walking around with their friends and their friends’ soulmate being a third wheel because they don’t have anybody in which to share this day.

Chocolates, flowers and I love you’s. How cliche. Why should we dedicate an entire day to giving gifts and all of our affection to somebody? Imagine getting a teddy bear or a bouquet of flowers on a random day just because. People should give their significant other stuff because they love them, but not because they feel like they should have to because of this so-called “special” day.

Valentine’s day can get pretty expensive, especially for that one person who has a greedy lover who wants the best of the best. Plus, nobody wants to get somebody a cheap little $2 necklace that is going to break in the next 24 hours. They want to get somebody a higher priced necklace that will last them three years. It is completely understandable for someone to want to go buy a someone a gift, but what isn’t understandable is why we feel obligated to go out and buy all of these expensive little boxes of chocolates, some flowers, etc.

Valentines Day stinks. It either sucks because you don’t have that special person to share this “special” day with, it is too cliche for someone, or because somebody has to go spend their paycheck on a person because they feel like they have to do so. Some people love Valentine’s Day, some dislike it. Maybe it is because of tradition, or maybe because it is how they were taught. But, people shouldn’t have to go and do things all for a day when they can do it for no reason on a different day and make it feel even more special.