An Open Letter To Breakups

January 11, 2019

Dear Breakups,

We need to talk.

Your own cliche line aside, we do need to talk. You are somehow simultaneously the worst and best thing in my life.

You are the worst. You have no regard for my feelings and frequently tear my heart out and stomp on it. I hate how you make it seem so easy to leave and you do it all the time. You tend to make at least one of us out to be the bad guy and in the process of tearing apart a relationship, you take the friendship with it. You even manage to make it painful when I am the one to end things.

You are the best. You force me to learn from myself, from my own mistakes and from where things went wrong in the relationship. You force me to come to terms with my own inadequacies and that sometimes the only way to grow is to walk away. You have gotten me out of some bad situations and have helped to introduce me to genuine friends.

I was a bit over dramatic blaming you for tearing friendship away with the relationship. In late elementary school and early middle, you tore apart two different relationships of mine. I will not lie, I hated you. I hated that I let you hurt me this bad. Now, I am thankful for you. If it were not for you, I doubt I would have two of my closest friends.

In reality, almost everyone deals with you at some point, and we all just have to take a deep breath and remember that life goes on after you. You do have some redeeming qualities that often get overshadowed by our own pain and hurt over you coming into the picture.

I still think we should see other people though,

Diana Pizitz