Back to Article
Back to Article

An Open Letter to Ana

An Open Letter to Ana

November 26, 2018

Dear Ana,

The two of us have known each other since fourth grade, but in all honesty, I wish we never met.

We became friends during my sophomore year of high school. I was busy all the time but you were my rock. You were always there for me and you let me feel like I was in control.

I was so incredibly wrong.

You manipulated me constantly for over a year. You tore me down and made me feel like I was worthless. When I had finally realized what was going on, I couldn’t even look in the mirror anymore. You ruined me.

Anorexia Nervosa, you have been a nightmare.

You made sure no one believed me about you tormenting me because you are only friends with skinny girls. I was anything but skinny so why would you want anything to do with me.

You made me skip meals for days on end, work out every night for a minimum of five hours at a time and make repeat trips to the scale every day just so I could see if I finally lost that .4 of a pound.

You ruined some of my happiest moments. That Halloween I spent my night redistributing my candy and trying to figure out the exact calories in a single bite of a fun size Twix. That Thanksgiving I spent in my room with a ‘stomach bug’ because I could not deal with all of that food.

It took me until the end of my junior year to finally go to someone for help. By that point, I had lost over a quarter of my body weight.

There are 30 million people in the United States dealing with you, but I am trying to not be one of them anymore.

I took the steps toward recovery and have regained some of the weight you made me lose, but I will never be fully rid of you. Every once in a while, I catch myself staring too long at where my ribs once showed or notice that I just forgot to eat, and I can feel you creeping back into my life. In those times, I just have to remember how much you stole from me and how close I came to ruining my life for you.

I wish I never met you,

Diana Pizitz