The Crimson Crier

• Augst 24: University Of South Alabama On Campus

• August 23: Medical Internship Parent Meeting

• August 22: FCA In Gym 2, Mississippi College On Campus

• August 21: Girls Basketball Booster Club Meeting, Band Boosters Meeting

• August 20: Super Citizen Kickoff

Veterans’ Day Needs to Be Celebrated Daily

Mady Harding

Mady Harding

In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower declared Nov. 11 as Veterans Day. Veterans Day is now observed yearly in order to show respect to the soldiers who made it home from each and every war. Veterans look forward to this day each year and are blessed to experience the love and consideration from their fellow Americans.

Through the years, Veterans Day has lost the respect that is owed by Americans. Many people view Nov.11 as another day on the calendar and just allow it to pass by. It is incredibly disrespectful for Americans to pass up the opportunity to thank a veteran for their service in the military. A veteran’s face will light up with joy the moment a person thanks them or even acknowledges their service. They realize that people do have a hope in them and that people respect them for everything they have accomplished. Americans should show appreciation to veterans year round, but especially on Veterans Day.

Showing respect on Veterans Day is easy. There are opportunities to donate to specific programs for veterans if people are not in direct contact with them. People can donate to programs such as the Wounded Warriors Project or the Department of Veterans Affairs. Flying an American flag is also a great way to show your appreciation. A flag being flown the correct way is a symbol of respect to the United States, as well as to the people who served for the U.S. Asking a veteran about their service and allowing them to share with you is also a great way to connect with them. Some do not like to talk about their time in service, but they will appreciate the thoughtfulness of someone asking. Veterans most appreciate being confronted and thanked for their service, nothing can make them happier.

Americans need to understand the difference between Veterans Day and Memorial Day which is observed in May. Veterans Day is a day of gathering and honoring all of the veterans who went into the military, served their time and came back home to America. Memorial Day is a day where people gather to respect and honor the families of those who went into the military and were killed in combat. These veterans never returned to their families after leaving for the war. Veterans enjoy when people understand the difference and know the importance of both days. Veterans Day should be a day to honor the ones who came home to enjoy the rest of their lives with their families. A veteran who comes home to America will experience strong emotions. When talking with my grandfather, he said that there is no greater feeling than coming home from the military and saluting the American Flag that was flying high in a stadium.

Wearing the red poppy is a popular thing to see on Veteran’s day. The poppy is a symbol of life, death and remembrance. The wearing of the poppy was inspired by the poem, written on a World War I battlefield, “In Flanders Fields” and has been worn by many Americans throughout the years. In the poem, little red flowers were the first flowers to grow on the grounds of where the war was once fought. Much like these flowers, the veterans who return to America show that by serving in the military, new life can be brought to the United States. Many veterans choose to wear the poppy as well. While wearing the poppy, veterans are reminded that they are a symbol of safety and protection for the United States.
On this Veterans Day, everyone should grow together and uplift the veterans of each and every community. A veteran deserves all of the gratitude that every person can show. Communities across Alabama and throughout the entire United States are home to many veterans. Find a veteran and thank them for their service this Veterans Day. A single person can make a huge impact on a veteran.

1 Comment

One Response to “Veterans’ Day Needs to Be Celebrated Daily”

1. former Webmaster, Patrick on November 9th, 2017 6:44 pm

I just wanted to pop in and see how the website looked after all this time. You guys are doing great! Keep up the good work this year you guys and go win all the web awards in our name.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Veterans’ Day Needs to Be Celebrated Daily

Opinion

How To Avoid Senioritis

Opinion

Michael Jordan Is The GOAT

Opinion

Focus On Self-Improvement

Opinion

Mental Health Is Serious

Opinion

Opioid Babies Are Born Every Half Hour

Opinion

Words Can Change Everything

Opinion

Student Shares Experience Of Becoming A Sibling

Opinion

Belk Charity Sale Is A Bust For Teens

Opinion

Should The Environmental Protection Agency Be Saved?

Opinion

Student Shares Opinion On Zuckerberg’s Irresponsibility