Disney princesses portray perfection

It has been almost 80 years since Walt Disney and his team created the first princess and since then, almost every child across the country has wanted to be one. Who would not with their beautiful eyes, slim waist and impeccably styled hair? Each Disney princess paints a picture of perfection, one that may be too perfect.

From Snow White to Elsa, Disney princesses have captured the hearts of all, especially the little girl across the world that want to be just like them. These girls dress up in their prettiest dresses and try to fix their hair just right. Confusion crosses their faces when they see that they do not like the princess they are trying to emulate. They may see that their hair is too frizzy or their waist isn’t that small.

One time or another, I have heard both my younger sisters repeat the phrase uttered by many little girls across the country, “I wish I looked just like her.” I at some moment have said this too. The creators of Disney princess do amazing jobs animating their movies and creating their character, but I have come to realize that when they are designing their princesses, the animators have made one cynical mistake. They make their princesses unrealistic.

As animators are drawing up what the princesses are too look like, they make the physical features of their characters much too perfect. The Disney princess do not have a single flaw. No imperfections on their face or hairs out of place, only perfection as long as the eye can see. If we are being realistic, we know that no healthy woman weighs 70 pounds and has a perfect hourglass shape. It is not as normal as the animators make it out to be.

Any adult or teenager can comprehend the fact that no woman in real life is as perfect as one of the Disney princesses may be, yet the problem with this is that the princess movies and characters are not made to entertain adults and teenagers. They are created to entertain children. Most children, especially those who are younger, cannot make the connection that nobody in the real world is as flawless as these princesses. This could lead to children thinking they are not pretty enough or skinny enough to meet the standard the princesses have created. This could create low self-confidence starting at a young age and cause a snowball effect, leading to things such as eating disorders in the future.

So when Disney goes to create their next princess, the animators need to be more realistic when it comes to the physical characteristics of a woman. I love Disney and think they do an outstanding jobs with the movies and characters, but a princess with a muffin top will not hurt anyone.