Picture by Madison Harding

Pi day right around the corner

Pi is 3.14159… and the numbers just carry on and on. Strangely enough on March 14, people from all around the world celebrate the odd, irrational mathematical constant pi.

Photo by Hannah Cox
Photo by Hannah Cox

The day of pi started in 1988 when a physicist Larry Shaw assembled a pie eating march around one of San Francisco Exploratorium’s circular spaces with staff and the public. As a result of this event, Shaw became known as the “Prince of Pi” and the San Francisco Exploratorium has continued to hold and honor Pi Day through the years. Eventually, the idea of Pi Day spread across the country and it became widely known as a national holiday in March 2009 by the U.S. House of Representatives.

It is interesting that many individuals have a hate for math even though some are willing to honor Pi Day a holiday that celebrates math and science. Pi Day is a strange way of enjoying math and science through the use of activities. Ranging from eating pies, throwing pies and discussing the colossal idea of pi are ways people choose to celebrate this national holiday.

Partial in the interest of pi from people may just be the mere fascination of it all. Since pi is ever-going, irrational and the thought that we will never truly know what pi fully is fascinates our curious, human minds. Since Pi Day is also on the same day as Albert Einstein’s birthday, a genius, it gives people another interest to celebrate the math and science holiday.

Pi Day is unlike any other national holiday in the Unites States. Combined with numbers, pie, math and science it makes March 14 a unique day to celebrate.