Photo Credit: Wyatt Harris

History teacher, Katilyn Brewer, teaching her class

History Teacher Steps Up As New SGA Sponsor

After eight years of serving as the Student Government Association (SGA) sponsor, English teacher Ashly Johnston stepped down. New History teacher Katilyn Brewer stepped up for the challenge of running one of the school’s largest clubs. 

“I am really excited to implement some new ideas to boost and encourage school spirit,” Brewer said. “My plans for SGA are to create an open forum for students to voice any concerns as well as think of ideas they have to make Sparkman High School a better place.”

Despite the challenges it may bring with COVID restrictions, Brewer is hoping to continue school traditions even in the face of uncertainty. 

“I think one of the biggest obstacles that we will have to face this year is how to best keep COVID-19 at bay, while still hopefully continuing school traditions,” Brewer said.

At the moment, Brewer is focused on planning homecoming events. 

“I am looking forward to homecoming so much this year, as I’m sure most everyone is this year. With planning for homecoming activities this year, we are hopeful that things will continue as they have in the past, but making allowances and planning for a Plan B, just in case,” Brewer said.

The club had its first meeting on Monday, Aug. 16 where they discussed another facet of the club—coordinating the student section for football games and the upcoming SGA executive chairman elections. Three candidates are running for the position. 

“I am really looking for students who are natural leaders. Leaders in SGA need to be motivated to implement their ideas, as well as the ideas of a club as a whole,” Brewer said.

Brewer is looking forward to the upcoming school year as an SGA advisor and is ready to implement her new ideas.

“I would like to say that I am really excited for this school year and to get to better know the students of Sparkman. Go Senators,”