The Crimson Crier

• Madison County Fall break is Sept. 29 - Oct. 6

• The football team will play James Clemens in an important area game Friday Sept. 23

Graduating Seniors to Receive Honor Chords

For the first time in numerous years, students participating in organizations and clubs for their efforts will be recognized. In over 15 different organizations such as SGA, NHS, Key club and Family Career Community Leaders of America, members will have the option to wear an honor cord as representation of their dedication at graduation.

“It’s super cool that I can wear an honor cord because it shows how much hard work I put into SGA,” Rachel Hardaker said. “I been an officer for four years. SGA’s been a very big part of my high school career [and] I’ve definitely become a better leader [because of it]. Now that we [can wear the SGA cord at graduation] it’s a visual representation of our hard work.”

Upon his arrival at SHS last year, President Chris Shaw continued the previous practices of his predecessor for his first year of office. After his first year, one new tradition he introduced to Sparkman was the option to wear honor cords at graduation.

“At my other schools, I’ve always had honor cords, so it was nothing new to me,” Shaw said. “I think [wearing honor cords at graduation is] a great thing [and] great recognition especially for service organizations. [It’s also] a great sense of achievement and [the honor cords] are something [graduating students] will keep as a keepsake.”

Organizations have each decided on different colors to represent their members such as red, white, black, purple and navy blue. For example, SGA’s honor cord is intertwined with red and gold in a double cord because the same cord is used for American Student Government Association.

“[With the honor cords as a goal] I believed that [SGA students were] more involved throughout the course of the school year,” SGA Sponsor Ashly Johnson said. “[Members] needed a 75 [points for an honor cord]. They had to participate in a merit system and they earned points for doing service projects [and] making donations.”

Different depending on the organization’s sponsor, the cost of purchasing an honor cord varies with the organization for which it was purchased. Yet, numerous staff and club members feel the price to pay for the cord is nothing compared to the memories embedded inside the keepsake.

“I think [the honor cord] is not just a purchase,” Johnston said. “[Students] do have pay for it, but they have to earn that privilege. It isn’t as much as [something you can purchase] as it is an achievement. We currently have 38 [SGA] students who will receive a cord, [ payment for one cord valuing at eight dollars each].”

Although an honor cord is an achievement, one can wonder its importance when all achievements can be displayed on a resume when applying for colleges. The honor cord itself will not be shown to a student’s dream college. For this reason, multiple members may not feel any urgency to attain one.

“[Even though] colleges already know I’ve been in SGA, [cords do] matter,” Hardarker said. “The fact that you can wear cords distinguishes you from people who haven’t really done much. It’s always nice to show off our hard work, and everyone want recognition at graduation.”

As numerous seniors take the leap towards their next life journey, mutiple will find themselves fondly looking back on electives such as football, drama, art, spanish club, service organizations and robotics club. During their graduation, these members proudly can display their involvements by wearing honor cords of their organization or club.

“I think it’s very important that all students feel connected to this school, one way or the other,” Shaw said. “Of course, we all know we’re here for academics, but the memories that students [make in high school such as] things outside the normal scope of academics are the memories that that they take [with them] for a lifetime. I think [making those memories is] what high school’s all about.”