The continuing story of Spiderman is getting high reviews.

Courtesy of Collider. com

Spiderverse Movie Comes Highly Recommended

January 24, 2019

Sony Pictures Animation released another film early last December. Usually, news like that would not have turned any heads but Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse proved to be a pleasant surprise from the studio that has recently given us strongly lamented films like The Emoji Movie and the Hotel Transylvania series; films that felt as if they were made purely to make a profit. Directed by Peter Ramsey,Robert Persichetti Jr.,  Rodney Rothman and Spider-Verse simply oozes with evidence that it was made with admiration for the titular character, respect for the audience and a sheer amount of effort that hasn’t been seen from this studio since Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.

The first thing that you notice when watching Spider-Verse is the animation style. The movie looks like a comic book jumped from its pages and came to life. Characters look as if they were hand drawn, then transferred onto the screen, things like snow and rain are used to emulate motion lines during a chase scene and most impressively, the spider-people are animated in their own, unique animation styles to represent the different universes they come from but are so well done that the contrasts aren’t even jarring. Even the old Ben-Day dots technique to color the backgrounds of some scenes. The hard work put into this movie is evident throughout. They give the film an identity just as charming as the web head himself.

Spider-Man is represented perfectly in this movie. Every single version of him. The film could have easily focused on the original Peter Parker Spider-Man but the choice to make fan favorite Miles Morales the main character is just another testament to the fact that the team behind Spider-Verse are just as big of fans as the rest of us are. They understand that Miles is such a popular character because he represents the same idea Stan Lee and Steve Ditko had when they first created Spider-Man in 1962: anyone can wear the mask- a white, nerdy teen from Queens, a Black-Latino, kid artist from Brooklyn or even a talking pig. What matters is that they do the right thing when the time comes for it. In the beginning, Miles is scared and struggles to do what he needs to- just like any one of us would be- but with the help of his friends and family, Miles comes into his own and truly becomes his own Spider-Man.

The voice talents of Shameik Moore as Miles, Jake Johnson as his mentor- Peter Parker along with Hailee Steinfeld, Nicholas Cage, John Mulaney and Kimiko Glenn as their respective Spider-People are more than impressive and combine with a stellar soundtrack to lend an endearing charm to a movie already interlaced with inspiring moments and uplifting humor.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a love letter to the character of Spider-Man and the medium of comic book culture as a whole. Sony Pictures Animation showed us that they are capable of making films for profit as well as passion project movies like this one. Here’s hoping we can expect projects of similar caliber from the studio in the future.