18 Years, 18 Movies

May 4, 2018

2000: “Miss Congeniality”: This movie stars Sandra Bullock as she takes on the role of an F.B.I agent who must transform herself completely to go undercover at the Miss United States beauty pageant to unravel the bomb threat aimed toward the event.  Honorable mentions for this year include “Cast Away,” “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” and “Remember the Titans.”

2001: “Legally Blonde”: Reese Witherspoon stars as Elle Woods, a pretty blonde sorority queen who follows her ex-boyfriend to Harvard law school after he dumps her. She then learns that she is more than her looks and is fit to be a lawyer. This movie is so good even Donald Trump delivered a speech that sounded oddly familiar to Elle’s law school graduation speech. Honorable mentions include “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone,” “The Princess Diaries,” “Oceans 11” and “Monsters Inc.”

2002: “Spider-Man”: Starting off the Spider-Man franchise, Tobey Maguire is the perfect Peter Parker. After being bitten by a genetically manipulated spider on his school field trip, Peter begins to gain spider-like abilities. Honorable Mentions include “A Walk to Remember,” “Lilo & Stitch” and “Sweet Home Alabama.”

2003: “Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl”: Johnny Depp is everyone’s favorite pirate. This Disney film brought in over 600 million dollars at the box office and started a billion dollar franchise. This movie follows Jack Sparrow and Will Turner who team up to save Elizabeth Swann. Honorable mentions for this year include “Finding Nemo,” “Love Actually,” “Holes,” “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” and “Bruce Almighty.”

2004: “The Notebook” has a special place in almost every girl’s heart, and not only because of Ryan Gosling. This Nicolas Sparks adaptation is the typical rich girl poor boy love story. Honorable mentions for this year include “Mean Girls,” “National Treasure” and “The Incredibles.”

2005: “Pride and Prejudice”, based on the Jane Austen novel, stars Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet, a woman who falls in love with a man above her class. Honorable mentions include “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” “Bewitched,” “Just Friend” and “Mr & Mrs. Smith.”

2006: “The Benchwarmers” is one of those comedy movies that you could watch over and over and never get tired of. Starring David Spade and Rob Schneider, this comedy follows three guys who try and make up for missed childhood experiences by forming a baseball team to compete against children’s teams. Honorable mentions include “The Break-Up,” “Click,” “RV” and “High School Musical.”

2007: “Atonement” is one of the most devastating movies I have ever seen. Set during World War Ⅱ, it follows a happy couple, Cecilia and Robbie, as they are torn apart by Cecilia’s jealous younger sister as she accuses Robbie of a crime he did not commit. Honorable mentions include “Superbad,” “Blades of Glory” and “Enchanted.”

2008: “Twilight” still remains one of the best love triangle movies with the most unexpected twist and turns. Starring Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson, it follows Bella Swan a high school student who willingly falls in love with a vampire. Honorable mentions include “Iron Man,” “Marley and Me,” “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas” and “Four Christmases.”

2009: “The Blind Side” is one of the best movies based off of a true story. Starring Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw, this film follows Michael Oher, a homeless boy who was taken in by a loving family. He soon becomes a football player who goes on to play in the NFL. Honorable mentions include “Zombieland” and “The Proposal.”

2010: “Tangled” is one of the best animated Disney films. Mandy Moore voices Rapunzel, a princess who has spent her whole life locked in a tower after being taken from her parents by a witch. She then meets thief Flynn Rider, as he stumbles upon her castle, which leads to a journey where Rapunzel finds out who she truly is. Honorable mentions include “Easy A,” “Percy Jackson and the Olympians,” “Despicable Me,” “The Karate Kid,” “Grown Ups,” “The Bounty Hunter” and “You Again.”

2011: “The Help” is an eye-opener to struggles of the past and still today. Based on the book, it follows African American women’s point of views as working as maids for white families during the civil rights movement in the ‘60s and the hardships they faced. Honorable mentions include “Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2,” “Crazy Stupid Love,” “Just Go With It” and “Soul Surfer.”

2012: “Pitch Perfect” will always be the go-to movie when you just want to sing and laugh. It follows Beca, as she starts her first year at Barden University. She joins an all-girl acapella group, where she adds her own twist to the songs as they compete to be the best acapella group. Honorable mentions include “The Amazing Spider-Man,” “The Hunger Games,” “Perks of Being a Wallflower” and “The Lucky One.”

2013: “Safe Haven” is by far the best Nicolas Sparks movie. Starring Julianne Hough and dreamy Josh Duhamel, it centers on Katie, a young woman who runs away to a small town in North Carolina to make a fresh start in her life. She falls in love with the town and Alex, but her secrets won’t stay hidden forever. Honorable Mentions include “The Heat,” “We’re the Millers,” “Frozen” and “Identity Theft.”

2014: “The Fault in Our Stars,” as cliche as It may seem, was the movie of 2014. This tragic romantic movie, based on John Green’s book, follows Hazel and Augustus, two teens with cancer. They meet in a cancer support group and carry out their last dying wish to meet the author of their favorite book. Honorable mentions include “Divergent,” “Into the Woods,” “Maleficent,” “Maze Runner,” “Wild” and “Endless Love.”

2015: “The Age of Adaline” follows a young mysterious woman as she never ages a day. She falls in love with a man who disrupts her pattern of never being noticed as she faces the problem of being in love with someone she can never grow old with. Honorable mentions include “Cinderella,” “Pitch Perfect 2,” “Vacation,” “Daddy’s Home,” “Me Earl and the Dying Girl” and “Inside Out.”

2016: “La La Land” is one of those movies that you either hate or love, and I love it. Starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, this heartbreaking musical follows an aspiring actress and a pianist as they fall in love and navigate their future life in Los Angeles. Honorable mentions include “Moana,” “Deadpool,” “Zootopia,” “Suicide Squad,” “Finding Dory,” “The Edge of Seventeen” and “Bad Moms.”

2017: “Beauty and the Beast” was the movie of the year. The stunning graphics and the all-star cast brought the classic Disney animated film to life. Emma Watson stars as Belle, a young woman who finds herself falling in love with the Beast who locked her up in his castle. Honorable mentions include “Wonder Woman,” “Baby Driver,” “I Tonya,” “It,” “The Greatest Showman,” “Baywatch” and “Pitch Perfect 3.”

2018: “Love, Simon” as of this point in 2018 has been the best movie so far. It is an eye-opener to those who do not understand the LGBTQ community and it also provides representation to those in the community. It follows Simon, as he comes to terms with his sexuality and his reveal to those he loves. Movies to look forward to later this year include “Oceans 8,” “Incredibles 2” and “Mary Poppins Returns.”