Lost but Found

As decades pass and generations expand, the fact that society will always have expectations and standards that are seemingly mandatory to meet will stay the same. This is seen in the cars we drive, the people we hang around and especially through the clothes we wear.

But this generation is somewhat taking a change; we have accepted the old as new and take pride in it. Some people still stress over having Supreme or American Eagle written all over their clothes, but the necessity has seemed to lessen these days.

Thrift shops are the new trend and if you have not delved into it yourself, I strongly recommend a trip to your local store. I myself have a closet made up of almost 90 percent thrift finds and I have not found a better way to express myself than through these articles of clothing and knick knacks I have picked up.

It may seem a bit nontraditional to some because of various reasons. Most clothes turned in to thrift stores are probably not washed prior to delivery, but I am just going to go ahead and presume that if they were that dirty, I am sure the workers would just go ahead and throw them away. The idea of people already walking around in the sweater I just pulled off the rack might not be the first check mark on my list for what I am looking for, but it all comes down to the originality.

lost-but-found

Nowadays, girls walk around in the exact same dress they got from a local boutique with some beaded necklace and leather boots; all that outfit tells me about them is that they have money. I cannot lie and say I do not own a few of these articles myself, but I do not define my style by what society tells me is hip. It is a mind game and I learn more about myself through what I pick when I am not looking for anything in particular.

Self expression is about more than the look; it is about the feel and the aura given off. As my fingers scramble through the hangers, tugging on sleeve after sleeve, I do not look for anything in particular. That may sound too obsolete, so to generalize what I am saying is, my eye catches what it wants, as others’ should.

No longer should people strive to look and wear what society says is “in” because everything is “in”. There are no boundaries or borders. Wear what you want. Shop where you want. But just make sure you keep an open mind about all your options, you might find more at the thrift store than what you expect.