Freshman shares love, value of family

September 23, 2016

The day we all know, Saturday which is game day. Watching Alabama Football is a weekly thing during football season. It was a great day with family and lots of fun.

One thing people fear the most is losing a loved one. On Sept.10, 2016, I lost someone who meant a lot to me. Getting a call at 11:30 p.m saying he has passed was heartbreaking. My grandfather, Allen Gordon, was my best friend. He is someone that I always look up to. My grandfather was a man of hard work and did everything he could for anyone.

On Jun.13, 2013, my grandfather lost his one true love. My grandmother passed of Pancreatic cancer. Being together for 49 years and married for 47 years, he never went a day without missing her. She meant everything to him and she knew it. We all fought the battle of getting over her being gone.

My grandfather, more than anyone, was a hard working man. He did a lot of mechanics. He loved working on cars and spending time with his grandchildren. When moving in with us, he attended church on Sunday morning to get out of the house.

He moved in with my dad,my step mom, my step sister and I after all the tragedy. It took a lot of time and effort for the family getting back on track to our normal lives. He was always that person to wake up to and put a smile on your face. He always made jokes and played around when I had friends over. These past three years we have gotten so close.

He could never pronounce my name right or any of my friends for that matter. My nickname was alway “pickle.” When I got home off the bus he was always at the door waiting for me. He always saved me and got me out of trouble. He was there for the laughs and the cries of everything. He was a big fan of eating the icecream out of our ice cream truck.

We all knew that he couldn’t wait to see her. He stayed home and thought about her day in and day out. We all knew that he couldn’t go another day without seeing her face. He always said I looked like her. Every time I saw him, he said “your granny would be proud of you.”

On Sept.13,2016 all family and friends gathered together to celebrate the wonderful life of my grandfather Allen Gordon. We all loved him so dearly and we will miss him more than ever. He lived a life of adventure and fun with all of his sons and grandchildren. He made our days better because that’s what he did.

The one thing I will miss most is seeing his face when I get home. All the laughter and joy he gave me day in and day out. He is one of the strongest men I have ever met and he will forever be in my heart. I wish I could go back and talk to him one more time.