Track teams tally several achievements

By Victoria Lewis, Reporter

Day one of the Huntsville Metro Championships proved successful for both the boys and girls track teams.

The boys’ team finished fourth overall with several individual awards.

Senior Anthony Parameswaran finished second place in the 1600 meter run with a time of four minutes and forty-one seconds. Sophomore Bailey Herfurth finished among the top eight in the 1600 meter run. According to Herfurth, preparing for the meets is hard work.

“On Mondays and Wednesdays I alternate tempo running and speed work. On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays I run miles at an easy pace,” Herfurth said.

Junior Robert Russel finished in first place in the pole vault event with a jump of 13 feet. The boys 4×800 relay team, Herfurth, Parameswaran, sophomore Harrison Myers and freshman Jake Russel, finished in the top five.

“While training, it is important to build stamina and speed because on the last lap you have to give it all you got, and you want to start out strong so you don’t get stuck in the pack,” Herfurth said.

Junior Kai Perkins finished first place in the girls’ discus event with a throw of 93 feet and six inches. The girls 4×100 relay team, sophomore Sinese Cash, junior Jasmine Jones, junior Jada Alexander and junior Kelsey Johnson, secured a spot in finals.

Competing against Bob Jones, the track teams largest competitor, Johnson also secured a spot in the 100 meter hurtle event. Johnson has been running track since her ninth grade year.

“They picked the top nine to move to finals. They called our names out as finalist and I was excited to hear my name,” Johnson said.

Day two of the Huntsville Metro Championships will be held today, April 10, at Bob Jones.