The Crimson Crier

• Underclassmen Finals are Thursday and Friday May 24-25

• Senior Finals are May 18-19

• The Crimson Crier Online Wishes Everyone A Great Summer

Unequality for All

Zane White, Reporter

The internet has always been a place where everyone was equal. No one had any kind of advantage in accessing the vast wealth of information that our society needs to operate. However, it seems that that time may be coming to an end. Under the Obama administration everyone’s access to sites on the world wide web was just as good as anyone else’s, but with a change in administration a change in policy is sure to come with it.

Trump’s team has set their eyes on deregulating broadband internet service companies. The argument is the same as always, to increase competition among the providers themselves, but all it accomplishes is allowing the internet itself to be choked and constrained by the very providers we rely on. This just ends up hurting the very consumer Trump’s team is hoping to help as well as various content creators on the web.

The first issue that arises is privacy. Regulation is means to protect the consumer from shady business practices carried out by companies and recently congress has decided to allow all browsing data and trends to be sold to anyone willing to pay. Privacy for the consumer, gone. Trump’s team does not seem to care, even though they are the ones claiming that they are helping the same people that they are currently hurting.

When it comes to net neutrality, it means that the web will basically become a pay-for-play service for content providers. In the Obama-Era all data would reach the user just as fast as any other data being sent. Streaming companies such as Netflix value this because it offers the best experience to its customers, but if an internet provider can restrict data flow from certain sources it could end up damaging the experience for both the customer and the content provider. Rolling back policies would allow internet providers to force customers to pay just to have an unrestricted flow of information to their subscribers. It is ridiculous and completely unnecessary, it just allows internet providers to generate more revenue while hurting the little guy. With only a handful of giants dominating the market, competition will not increase, only the amount of profit they generate.