High hopes of having a good season

Cross country practice started this week and as a member of the cross country team, I must commend the team on their pre-season efforts.
Our biggest hurdle during pre-season is adjusting to the high temperatures. The team practices every day after school in the blazing, hot sun. Running in this heat is hard on the body. Sweating can lead to dehydration which lead to heat exhaustion and causes the runner to become fatigued. In other words, it’s tough on the team.
The coaches are taking precautions for all runners. If they feel like the workout is too much for us, then we simply turn around. They don’t want us passing out and exhausted to the point where we cannot go anymore. They inform the team to stay hydrated. To help combat dehydration, one of the parents has set up a table at the end of her driveway, and on that table she places cups of cold water for us when we run by.
Our workouts are hard but we push each other to strive. We run anywhere from three to eight miles a day and on some days after we run, we do strength training. It’s a challenge but the team is willing to stick to it.
This year I hope the team stays strong and that we have a good season. I also hope that the runners give all they have during practice and in the meets and that we encourage and respect one another.