Photo+by+Madison+Harding+

Photo by Madison Harding

Transgender bathrooms cause controversy in schools

We get millions of dollars in federal funding each year for our school system. This could be in jeopardy if we do not follow the new federal mandate. That states that students who identify as transgender can choose their bathroom of choice to use at school — no questions asked. This guidance is not yet bound by law since it has not been clearly defined as to whether transgenders are protected by civil rights. Although it is just a matter of time before this entire transgender battle is decided for us in the Supreme Court.

Down the road, this could lead to many problems for schools if they choose to ignore this mandate. This is an especially controversial topic especially in the South. The question that has begun to rise is it even right to withhold money from schools for not following this federal ruling. I think this is another example of the federal government trying to push its views down our throats. It is just another piece of this administration’s liberal agenda trying to get pushed through before the end of this presidential term. The American people need to stand firm on this directive and declare that our country is not run by a dictator and our school children should not be forced to share a bathroom or a locker room for that matter with the opposite sex.

If our schools would stand together and refuse to give in to this so-called mandate then I believe that the administration would realize how ridiculous this is. Education is far too important to threaten withholding funding and punishing students because of a bathroom issue. Maybe there could be a compromise that does not make anyone uncomfortable or jeopardize the safety of any student. Instead of spending money on court fees which this will undoubtedly lead to in the future, the federal government should grant money to the schools to build or renovate bathrooms for transgender use only. That way they would have a private bathroom for their own use. And since I doubt there are many who identify as transgender in one school, there should not be a long line if there is only one transgender only bathroom. If it is a large school, then perhaps they could be granted enough funding for two bathrooms. I believe that would completely solve the problem.

I do wish we could spend more time focusing on more important issues like finding a cure for cancer or putting an end to abortion. Afterall, only 0.2 to 0.3 percent of the population are transgender and we surely spend an awful lot of time trying to appease that small number of people.