Effectiveness of break time questioned

Cartoon by Noah Lombard

By McKenzie Ashmore, Opinion Editor

Fifteen minutes of free time means nothing left to do but twiddle thumbs.
The first day of school introduced the students to a 15 minute break after first block. The break gives students time to speak with friends and get snacks before class. However, there are issues with the rest of the time.
The main problem with the break is students forming packs in the hallways, making the halls full and chaotic. The happy buzzing students carry on flamboyant conversations grouping in front of the gym. Hundreds of voices speak at the same time, overwhelming fellow peers.
In addition, break does not leave enough time to wait in the lunchroom line to get a snack and be in class by the bell. Students with a class on the south end of the school have a large challenge for being on time to class. Discipline for these measures seems completely biased, due to the new tardiness rules.
To add, there is no warning bell for students. Since there is no warning bell, students may use that as an excuse for being late. Other students may not realize how little time this can be. Since there is no warning bell there may be problems with tardiness in the future.
The idea of having a break between classes is a wonderful idea but if students continue to gather by the gym, scream over peers and ignore the warning bell, then break will no longer be in the student body’s favor.