Checkered Past

April 20, 2017

Checkered+Past

Alabamians have faced shame when it comes to our political sphere full of a checkered past but with former Governor Robert Bentley’s resignation, we can finally let out a sigh of relief knowing we will no longer have to drown in a state full of his scandals and corruption. He is out of the picture. His replacement Governor Kay Ivey is bringing change to the table after recently entering office and it seems that Alabama is offered a fresh start.

Quickly after taking office, Ivey decided to change the date of the U.S. Senate election which will fill the seat left by Attorney General Jeff Sessions to this year with the primaries being on August 15. Originally, Bentley appointed his own choice to fill the seat until the election which he scheduled for next year. The election is supposed to be held much sooner by law and to delay it is not in the best interest of Alabamians that should choose who represents us. Ivey, who seems to be trying to reverse Bentley’s mistakes, is looking for what is best for Alabamians and is following the law. By moving the election to a sooner date, she is proving herself to be pulling away from Bentley’s marks and undoing his wrongs.

Ivey has not yet taken other actions besides recently announcing her choices for chief of staff which is Steve Pelham and press secretary which is Eileen Jones. Choosing her administration definitely relieves the pressure that Bentley’s backroom politics’ remnants are left intact. It feels as though Alabama is moving on.

Although there is still much work to be done and more effort to get through this unsettling period of politics in Alabama, this smooth beginning Ivey has provided does yield a glimmer of hope. Maybe she can improve upon women’s issues or invest into and promote education. Because she has only recently taken office, it is hard to discern whether or not she will truly make a difference in the long run. But one thought is for sure: Kay Ivey definitely earns credibility and support for her current efforts for Alabamians.