Science Courses Continue to Change

April 18, 2017

Changes to science courses next year will be implemented for all students but especially focusing on the sophomores’ choices. Courses were added and removed based on either student success or because the Alabama Department of Education mandated it.

Incoming sophomores have the option to take either AP biology with biotechnology which will count as two science credits, physical science or general anatomy. Chemistry will be removed from their choices, but it will still be offered as a course for juniors and seniors to take. Either Chemistry or another physical science course is still a requirement to graduate.

“As of right now, most sophomores take chemistry but what we have found is most sophomores do not have the math skills. They’re not quite ready. Most states actually teach chemistry as a junior or senior class. We are trying to [make] their math foundations better,” chemistry teacher Amber Kimbrell said.

Rising sophomores who planned to take chemistry are going to have to choose another course for next year. According to freshman Julia Helms, she planned to take AP biology with biotechnology anyways but she says that it is unfair to those who wanted to take Chemistry.

“It doesn’t give you a wide variety to choose from. The limits only give you three choices and the people who wanted to take chemistry that year have to settle for something else. They have to waste a science credit on something they don’t want to take instead of being able to just go ahead and take the class,” Helms said.

Marine science is also being removed from the course options because the state of Alabama decided that should no longer count for a science credit. For juniors and seniors, Physics I with algebra is being added as an option for next year. A new psychology course is being added as well.

“The intention is to increase options for our students and provide a better academic foundation,” assistant principal Jonathan Barron said.

While those such as Helms feel that these options are unnecessary and a waste of their credit, Barron maintains that the goal is to bring more quality to the scope of courses for students. The course range is to motivate the students to challenge themselves as well.
“The hope is to increase the options to all of our students across the school,” Barron said. “With hopes of encouraging our students to take higher upper level science courses.