Sparkman signs sports contract with Nike

February 5, 2016

The school recently signed a contract that solidifies Sparkman as a Nike/BSN school. In the past the school used several sports brandings to represent athletics, like Under Armour.

“We talked to Under Armour, Adidas and Nike,” Principal Chris Shaw said. “It is all about perception and marketing. It’s like for young people, a sports viewpoint, if you look good you play good. If for some reason, Nike is one of those leading companies, and have the Nike swoosh, they see that on TV, they see it in the NFL and so we contacted a lot of different companies and we decided to become a Nike school.”

The students and sports programs will have to wait through a transitional phase before they can use new Nike products like uniforms and fan apparel. The school will also gain discounts when purchasing Nike products that could be up to 40 percent.

“It will probably take about three years to transition to new uniforms, but everything will have the same logo, as far as the double “S” for Sparkman, we will have the Nike logo in addition,” Shaw said. “It kind of brings that continuity that you like to see in a big school. It is like when you see the University of Alabama, and all their sports are Nike, not that we are trying to be like them. Auburn is the same way, everything there is Under Armour.”

Even though the school will still have to wait a few years for all the new goodies, the creation process is in full swing.

“We are currently in the process of working with VIP branding to develop some new artwork and logo material that we can use,” Assistant Principal/Athletic Director Jason Watts said. “The agreement we have with BSN sports and Nike is that, as our sports teams purchase uniforms, we will make the transition towards Nike uniforms and game-day apparel. There is no set time where all of our sports teams have to be in, but as we upgrade our uniforms we will be going with Nike.”

The partnership with the perceived best sports company in the world, Nike, will open up more revenue flowing into the school’s athletic department. Sparkman apparel will be more mainstream in the community, popping up places that not were expected in the past.

“As far as our athletic programs, it will give us the ability for our school to open up what would be like a school spirit store via the internet,” Watts said. “It would be just like having a store, and any of the items that are sold, a certain percentage of that would come directly back into the school, to the athletic funds or into the general account of the school. We should see a stream of revenue that we haven’t had before, and hopefully we will be able to grow our brand so that, as we get our merchandise out into some more popular stores, we have licensed so that we make royalty off any goods that are sold at maybe Dick’s Sporting Goods, Wal-mart and other athletic stores.”

Though on the world stage Nike slaughters Under Armour in market cap 98 billion dollars to 22 billion dollars. This new deal will bring added revenue into the school and provide a new look for our athletic programs that is bound to be a fan-favorite.

“It is very recognizable,” Shaw said. “It is a brand that has been proven, that’s the thing about it. They are known for their quality. You see it on TV and in colleges. I think everybody is comfortable with the Nike brand. I think they (athletes) have confidence that, whether it be the shoes, the shorts or the athletic equipment, I think they will be confident in it.