Photo by Christian White

New lockdown app tested out

The Madison County School System has taken another step in enhancing security for the schools by purchasing the rights to use a Lockdown App.

“It’s another layer of security for the school, so we can, instead of sitting there and calling the SROs, hit the buzzer. They can hit that button, and it notifies our administrators, teachers, and SROs along with even the sheriff’s department,” Principal Chris Shaw said.  “It is comforting that you can sit there and instantly hit the button and it will alert everyone to a problem because it is quicker than 911 because speed is the most important factor.” Principal Chris Shaw said.

Some think that the lockdown app may be an expensive waste of time because of the thought that schools are usually a safe place, however, Shaw must make decisions based on the possibility of what could happen. There may be a 99 percent chance that nothing will happen but Shaw must take into account that no matter what there is always that one percent chance that something could happen. In him doing this, the school can become even more secure.

With SROs on patrol during the day, Administrators walking around the school, teachers at every entrance and exit before school, after school and between classes, lockdown drills, security cameras everywhere and now this new app that has proven technology is advancing school security, Madison County Schools will stay ahead of the game in safety.

“Safety is the most important aspect for our students, and the lockdown app is another level of that. Students may not admit it, but they like knowing deep down, that they are safe,” Shaw said.