Blood drive held at critical moment

By Patrick Rickles, Reporter

You walk in feeling nervous about what is going to happen next . Suddenly, someone walks in ready to suck out your blood. No, it is not a horror movie— it is our school blood drive.
The school collected well over 150 units of blood during the drive on Jan. 21. It was a simple procedure. Students walked in, signed up and then a nurse walked and asks them some simple questions. After answering, you are given food and a drink and then give blood. After making sure that you will not pass out in the middle of the hallway, you are sent off with a new t-shirt and a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.
“I did a good deed today,” junior Jarod Vechinski said.
JROTC was in charge of organizing this event for the LifeSouth organization. However, this blood drive was something special. This blood drive came during one of LifeSouth’s biggest blood shortages ever. Lt. Col. Lloyd Nathan said that the event was not planned to help deal with the recent blood shortage, but it was an amazing and rather helpful coincidence.
“It was good timing for them and good timing for us,” Nathan said.
Most of the students that donated blood were not even aware about the critical blood shortage, or the fact that LifeSouth is pleading for more donors. Most were just glad to be able to help out other people that would not be able to help themselves.
“I’m glad my blood will go to good use,” Vechinski said.