New club unlocks new possibilities

New club unlocks new possibilities

Photo Credit: Noah Lombard

By Alex Holmes, Copy Editor

For those looking to acquire more service hours or become more involved in the community, look no further than a new club at to our school: Key Club.
Key Club is about helping others and being the change one wants to see. The club hopes to bring about change through community based service projects.
“Key Club is the oldest and largest service organization for teens. It teaches leadership through service to others. Key Club is about making a difference in your community,” club sponsor Cindy Stanley said.
When Stanley was approached by a student to sponsor the club, she was brought back to her experiences in Keyettes. Both Key Club and Keyettes are sponsored by Kiwanis clubs, leading to similarities between the two.
While students may be more concerned about how college recruiters are going to view their communal efforts, Stanley understands that there is more to it than looking good on paper.
“I believe that learning to give back is an essential part of life. I work with and see students every day that need opportunities to develop leadership skills and increased self-esteem. I have learned firsthand that if you do good, you feel good,” Stanley said.
Members should expect to have at least 50 service hours by the end of each school year. Dues are $14. For those looking for more information, see Stanley in the library classroom.