Dream. Dare. Do.

In newspaper it feels like there are always opportunities to further my journalism abilities. Whether it be in technology or writing techniques, my advisor Mrs. Erin Coggins is always scouting out chances to expand our horizons. But the plot twisted when Ashlee Hampton scouted out Coggins to suggest a student to apply for the Al Neuharth Free Spirit program. This program is a week long, all-expenses-paid journalism conference with only the top in the business.

It is literally an honor to even be recommended. My Editor-in-Chief two years previous Beryl Kessio who, as we speak, is studying abroad in Morocco, had applied and was also accepted for this prestigious event. Now it may not sound that intense, until you are informed that only one person from each state and the District of Columbia is accepted after they write two essays, have two recommendation letters written and turn in three pieces of their best work. Only then will they qualify and be placed in a pile of other contenders to be analyzed and chosen.

I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. All I knew was that my entire high school career I had figuratively stuck myself into a corner and that is not really an asset in the journalism world. I was an upcoming senior and I needed to take a risk and venture outside my comfort zone. This trip was exactly that. I was so nervous I barely remembered to reply to the constant emails. Thank God Hampton was persistent.

There was only one time we actually had to talk in front of everyone and that was the first day. Upon arrival we had to stand in front of the entire class and say our favorite First Amendment freedom and why. I had planned my answer about a month in advance. I was not going to screw up the first words everyone heard from me.

“My favorite first amendment freedom would be the freedom of press. I value this freedom because we are the watchdogs of our government and society and not everyone has the ability to admit that they can do so safely just as we can.”

Great start. The rest of the week we followed a schedule that included the following: filing onto the bus, eating, listening to speakers whilst jotting down as many notes as possible, attending a taping of Meet the Press and traveling around the city visiting monuments and learning more about our 50 other peers. I never thought sitting around and listening to people speak all day could be so tiring, but by the time I hit my bed, I was out.

Like I said, I imagined the trip to be completely awkward given that I have the social skills of a sloth in a crowded room, but surprisingly all the auras clung together and it became easy to talk to anyone. No one was intimidating because everyone was just there to learn more about journalism and expand their horizons. And it did not hurt that everyone had a free spirit as well. When you imagine a free spirit, you see a cliche hippy tripping balls. Not the case. What so ever. Everyone was attainable, relatable, easy, open-minded — just the type you want to be surrounded by for an entire week of constant pressure to pursue journalism in your future.

Constant pressure is not to be taken in a negative connotation. I need the pressure; just as diamonds are formed under constant pressure, I feel like I need that extra umph constantly on my shoulders to achieve anything great. College is coming soon and I must figure out how the rest of my life will pan out and that needs to happen ASAP. Al Neuharth taught me that I do not have to pursue journalism as my main career in order to find happiness in it. Journalism is a tough job field and just as long as I keep my feet wet and my heart set on a goal, it is okay to write the occasional article for a local paper or blog while still maintaining an everyday career.

I hope to someday pursue early childhood education in some form or another and when I do I will still be able to apply all that I have learned from Neuharth. He persevered through every obstacle that was in his way and made a lifestyle out of his hobby. Through his perseverance he is innovative and inspirational. Two things I “Dream”, “Dare” and aspire to “Do”.