New teacher takes over during absence

By Caroline Barlow, Reporter

Every year students have to adjust to new teachers and their teaching styles. Imagine a class being disrupted in the middle of the year and roughly 180 students being forced to WORD a completely new teacher. This WORD happened to Jodi Blanchette’s history classes due to her sudden leave.

After a month of countless substitutes and limited learning opportunities the classes were finally appointed a teacher, Joy Monroe.

Ever since Monroe was in high school she knew that she wanted to teach, and she has had a passion for education ever since.

“I picked teaching as my career because I wanted to make a difference and change student’s lives by teaching them about history,” Monroe said.

After the position was posted, Monroe eagerly applied in hopes of getting experience and benefitting the students, but she was fully aware of the challenges that come with the job.

“Coming into this job I expected there to be many challenges considering the classes have not had a permanent teacher in weeks. I was prepared to do the best I could do and gain a lot of experience that others may not have the opportunity to get,” Monroe said.

After a few weeks of teaching, Monroe began to overcome the challenges and realized that she was going to finish strong.

“As more time went by I began to feel more confident teaching and I realized that I could succeed as an educator,” Monroe said.

For the confused students the transition was not as easy. Junior Katie Liggin felt that the getting a new teacher caused a lot of stress for her class.

“The transition was really awkward and confusing for our class. At first we were unsure if she was here to stay of if she was just another substitute, but after a week it calmed down and we were able to start learning again,” Liggin said.

After a semester of teaching, Monroe has observed many things she can take away from the experience. She has also enjoyed her time here because of the difference she made.

“I have learned that I should be stricter and that there are times when I need to put my foot down. I also have gotten a feel of how I would like my teaching style to be. The best experience is being able to help all these students succeed since they did not have a teacher for a long period of time,” Monroe said.

Next school year Blanchette will return which means Monroe will be on the search for a full-time teaching position.

“Hopefully sometime soon in the future I will be offered a full-time teaching position, but for now I will work during the summer and I will be on the lookout for openings,” Monroe said.