One step closer to finding a cure

By Hannah Cox, Reporter

Breast cancer has been present in our world since ancient times – and a cure still has not been found.
Family Career and Community Leaders of America, or FCCLA, decided that they wanted to contribute and raise money for cancer research. On Oct. 23 FCCLA hosted their second annual breast cancer walk. For $20 an entire class could go outside and walk for 20 minutes. For another dollar students could throw a pie at a teacher’s face: Jamie Coggins, Evan Carter, Benjamin Stevenson, Walter Jones and even Mike Campbell participated. In total they raised $2,100.
“It’s awesome. I mean it’s just awesome,” Angela Ford, one of the leaders of FCCLA said. “We would have loved to hit $3,000 but that gives us something to shoot for next year.”
Along with the walk and pie in the face, FCCLA sold pink-painted pumpkins that the members painted and decorated for $25 each. All of the proceeds were then donated to the Clearview Cancer Society. Lisa Aderholt’s class raised $165.13 earning them first place, followed closely by Monica Davis with $144.11 and Alison Ferguson with $110.01.
“One thing I always try to do is give back to the community and ways to help diseases such as breast cancer. My mom had breast cancer and so it’s very important to me to find ways to honor her,” Coggins said.