Students today, teachers tomorrow

By Emily Baucum, Reporter

While some students are slacking off and contemplating what they would like to pursue once they graduate, others are already one step ahead of the game.
FTA, or the Future Teachers of Alabama, is a statewide organization sponsored by the Student Alabama Education Association.

“It is for students that want to pursue a career in education as a teacher or faculty, or someone that just wants to get involved with things going on around the campus,” club sponsor Renee Quaife said.

FTA members get acquainted with active environments by the community service they put in.

“We’ve gone and helped Free 2 Teach, and we’re going to work at the Manna House and Salvation Army. We do supplies for students that can’t afford it. And we give supplies to teachers here in our building for the classrooms. We also pay for substitute teachers if a teacher wants to go on a field trip and there is not money to pay for one,” Quaife said.

Not only does the community service help prepare the students for future careers, but they also get to lead their own classes.

“The FTA members have created lesson plans. Now they’re going to teach these students in the after school program at Endeavor. We will divide them into three groups: kindergarten and first, second and third, and fourth and fifth. The club members are going to teach a lesson and do an activity with the students,” Quaife said.

By experiencing the opportunity to teach these students FTA members will get a feel for what they would like to get themselves into after college.

“I hope my students see a real world application of teaching and they kind of get an idea of if this is what they want to do or not want to do when they grow up. And of course I hope the kids at Endeavor in the after school program enjoy it and learn something,” Quaife said.

Teaching firsthand can change one’s perspective on how much one might enjoy it and if they can see themselves pursuing it in the long run.

“Teaching at Endeavor was probably one of the best experiences I’ve been through. Getting to interact with the kids made me realize that this is something I could do the rest of my life,” FTA member Victoria Lewis said.