Students have a blast with paint

Photo Credit: Karen Mimms

Patrick Rickles (left) scoping out his next target.

By Madison Harding, Reporter

Many thrill seekers turn to rock climbing, flying or rollercoasters, but others like to feel the intensity of people shooting at them and shooting back with paint-filled ammo.
The game of paintball was first played in 1981 by Charles Gaines, Robert Gumsey and Hayes Noel. The paintball gun was originally designed for marking cattle. Gaines, Gumsey and Noel saw the advertisement for the cattle gun and decided to set up a capture-the-flag survival game. The three of them then formed National Survival Game, Inc., and that popularized the game.
The sport has become more common since 1981. Over 10,000,000 people played paintball in the United States last year. There are 104 countries where paintball is played and about 105 universities offer paintball programs.
Paintballs whizzing by, juniors Patrick Rickles and Stanley Koryta, visualize paintball as a blood-rushing sport. They usually play with their team, constructing of 15 of their friends. They typically play against anyone they can find sitting around the field. Paintball is great for building team spirit.
“It’s probably the best adrenaline rush you’re ever going to feel in your life,” Rickles said.
Rickles’ favorite time while playing in the course was when his friend’s marker (paintball gun) malfunctioned and started shooting out of control. He explained that it taught him how to react in an unpredictable situation. Rickles advises for any new players to stick with their friends because it can be a lot more exciting.
“It’s sometimes a pain to take care of your equipment but it’s worth it in the end,” Rickles said.
Basic equipment needed to go to battle is a marker, paintball gun; Tippmann 98 custom is the most common gun, a helmet or facemask and a vest. It can be a pricey sport but it is a wild game. To rent equipment is about $35 but paintballs cost $40 per 2000 paintballs. Koryta stressed that players need to have the right equipment. His advice to all new players is to wear multiple layers of clothing, leather or combat gloves, boots or tennis shoes.
“I was having the best time of my life the first time I played,” Koryta said.
The sound of the paintballs whistling by Koryta’s ear made him fall in love with the game. He shot eight people and got out five times himself which is a good ratio in terms of paintball. Koryta and Rickles both play at Phoenix Paintball in Athens off of U.S. Highway 72.
“I’ve been playing for about five years and it’s still my favorite sport,” Rickles said,