Neon Vibe illuminates Huntsville, 5k leaves vivid mark on student

Photo Credit: April Oberman

By April Oberman, A&E Editor

The Neon Vibe 5k was quite an experience.
When thinking about participating in a 5k, one does not normally consider it a fun occasion. Obviously waking up early on a Saturday is not ideal, especially for a high school student. But, on the evening of Sept. 20, I ran my first and most colorful race ever imaginable, thanks to Neon Vibe.
I arrived at the University of Alabama at Huntsville, where the race was held with high hopes. We were anticipating the line to receive our registration packets to be extremely long, but we got our race numbers with much time to spare. We were quickly covered head to toe in green, pink, blue and yellow neon color powder. There was no possible way to dodge the powder festivities.
The race began in waves of 300 runners. Although my friends and I were in the fifth or sixth wave, the DJ did an awesome job of pumping us up and raising our blood pressure. Finally at seven p.m., we began the race. Every half of a mile, we came upon a “glow zone” where workers sprayed neon colored water that cooled us down. Once we completed the run, the party truly began.
The UAH campus was pitch black dark, except for the glowing, energized bodies jumping up and down in a mosh pit in front of a stage. Immediately, my friends and I gravitated toward the scene. In seconds, we became soaked with color water and stained with the powder. But, none of that seemed to matter. Our favorite pop music played at a volume times ten, and I had just accomplished my first 5k.
The Neon Vibe 5k is accommodating of all ages. I recommend this run to people who are looking for a different arrangement of exercise, as well as a fun, colorful time.